Disaster Financial Assistance Facts


If you are a resident of Manitoba and you have damage to your home or business from a disaster, there are some important points to keep in mind

TAKE PICTURES -Inspections may take time to happen, so take pictures of the damages to your property and any repairs made.

KEEP RECORDS - Keep invoices, receipts and any records of repairs made.
INSURANCE - Contact your insurance provider first. DFA does not pay for items that can be insured and does not top up insurance. Get a statement in writing.
TAX INFORMATION - Have your most recent property tax bill available. For businesses, have your complete income tax return from last year.
Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) may be initiated following a significant event in which damage is widespread, mostly uninsurable and represents a significant financial burden to those impacted.

You can complete an application for Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA), even if a program has not been established. You can apply online, download a PDF application form or phone to have an application mailed to you. You can also get an application from your municipal office.

Your application does not guarantee that you will receive assistance or that a DFA program will be established. Submitting your application will help Manitoba EMO understand how big the disaster is.

Contact the Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization


1505-405 Broadway Avenue, Winnipeg, R3C 3L6