All private swimming pools and/or hot tubs capable of containing more than 24 inches of water require a permit. This includes ALL types of above and below ground pools including temporary or seasonal pools.
All private pools must be completely enclosed with a fence or suitable barrier erected in accordance with Part 10 of the Manitoba Building Code or as follows:
• The fence must have a minimum height of 1.5 meters (5 ft.) including a gate which shall be self-closing and equipped with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry;
• There shall be no openings other than the entry to a building or gate and it shall be constructed so as to prevent a child from crawling under either the fence or the gate;
• Where material other than the chain link is used, the outside surface of the enclosure shall be relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds;
• The enclosure surrounding an outdoor pool shall be maintained in good repair.
Pool covers of any type, material, manufacture, or strength do not count as a suitable barrier. hot tubs may substitute a lockable cover in place of a fence. However it must be strong enough to support the weight of an adult walking on top of it.
Please view a PDF version of these specs HERE.
To obtain a building permit, a completed permit application must be submitted to the municipality along with all required documentation. Applications will only be accepted providing we receive all required documentation at the time the application is submitted.
Once you have all the required information listed below, please contact Tanis Klippenstein at 204-878-3321 ext. 106 or [email protected] to arrange an appointment to drop off your application. Applications are accepted by appointment only. Building Permits are issued in approximately 1-3 weeks from the day all required documentation is received.
2.) Building/Structure Plans
- Both, digital & paper copies are required & should be clearly marked/labeled. A large set of plans must also be available on site.
3.) Building/Structure Site Plan
- Location of proposed structure, including dimensions of the structure
- Distances from all property lines to the proposed structure
- Location of existing buildings/structures, including dimensions of all existing buildings/structures
- Distance from the proposed structure to any existing building/structure on the property (All buildings/structures must maintain a separation of 10 feet minimum from eave to eave)
For further building inquiries or to obtain a Building and/or Development Permit please contact:
Tanis Klippenstein | Planning & Development Administrative Assistant
204-878-3321 Ext. 106 or [email protected]
Dave Turcotte | Building Inspector
204-878-3321 Ext. 107 or [email protected]